5G by Ericsson
5G isn’t just a new generation of mobile networks – it’s transforming the world as we know it.
What is 5G?
5G is the fifth generation of cellular networks. Up to 100 times faster than 4G, 5G is creating never-before-seen opportunities for people and businesses.
Faster connectivity speeds, ultra-low latency and greater bandwidth is advancing societies, transforming industries and dramatically enhancing day-to-day experiences. Services that we used to see as futuristic, such as e-health, connected vehicles and traffic systems and advanced mobile cloud gaming have arrived.
With 5G technology, we can help create a smarter, safer and more sustainable future.
What is 5G going to mean to you as a telecom operator?
To find out, jump to the deep dive section.
What makes 5G different?
What is 5G capable of?
5G will do much more than significantly improve your network connection. It provides new opportunities, enabling us to deliver groundbreaking solutions that reach across society.
Imagine billions of connected devices gathering and sharing information in real time to reduce road accidents; or life-saving applications that can take flight thanks to lag-free guaranteed connections; or production lines so predictive they can prevent interruptions well before they occur.
There’s no need to imagine. We are making it happen.
5G opens cutting-edge ways of improving safety and sustainability.
- Smarter electricity grids for greatly reduced carbon emissions
- More connected vehicles sharing data to prevent road collisions
- Faster deployment of emergency services to accidents
- Connected sensors that can detect and warn of natural disasters early
- Drones becoming a key tool to accelerate and support emergency situation response
- Remote expertise with specialists smoothly consulting/diagnosing patients elsewhere
- 5G is the foundation for flexible, efficient and responsible business.
- Production lines autonomously reacting to supply and demand
- Digital replicas that can warn about real machinery faults ahead of time
- Logistic networks autonomously routing goods based on real-world conditions
- Full traceability down to the individual item at warehouses and ports
- Remote access to powerful robots and vehicles for improved safety in risky environments
- Increased use of IoT in agriculture to efficiently grow crops
5G sets the stage for more immersive entertainment and more engaging education.
- Greater realism in VR, AR and extended reality (XR) with lighter devices
- Delivering sensory experiences, like touch, through devices
- More engaging methods of teaching through immersive content
- Immersive virtual meetings to boost remote team productivity
- Stable and reliable connectivity in crowded spaces
- New angles and interactions for live and remote event spectators
5G enabled by Ericsson
We are at the forefront of the 5G, Internet of Things (IoT), edge computing and cloud network infrastructure era – the first company to bring 5G to four continents. Our portfolio is built on innovation and transformation, paving the path toward a fully connected world.
Ericsson Radio System allows operators to launch the new technology and grow 5G coverage fast – no matter the scale and complexity – and Ericsson Spectrum Sharing allows for accelerated 5G rollouts using existing hardware.
With our world?leading?technology, we aim to drive society forward and unlock new opportunities. We have the industry’s strongest portfolio of essential 5G patents and plays a pivotal role in global standardization.